Ought to be an Oscar or Emmy-type award for seniors aging with courage

The Oscars, considered the definitive movie award, doesn’t occur until March 2, but already there have been a series of other awards, including The Critics’ Choice Awards and the Screen Actors Guild Awards, both televised and overly long and often featuring the same elegantly dressed actors looking up from their food in mock surprise as their name was once again announced. But additionally, there are such an incredible amount of various and sundry other awards, you would have to be either a novice or incompetent, not to have received something. Still to come, are the British Film Awards in February as well as their Rising Star Award. I’m not sure when the PGA or Outstanding Producers Awards or the Peabody for distinguished public service by a radio and television station, occur.

We also have the Emmys, tonight’s Grammys, the Golden Globes, the Broadcasting Press Guild, not to mention an amazing array of film critics awards; each area from San Francisco to Toronto having its own Film Critics Association Award. It is impossible to keep track of them all.

Meanwhile, there is a large aging segment of the population dealing daily with the various problems, pains and inconveniences of growing older, and they receive little notice; let alone, an award. I was thinking about this late the other night after watching the delightful PBS show, “Downton Abbey” when I had one of those brilliant moments of clarity (which somehow always occur late at night when nobody is around).

As I was contemplating my own aging and trying to estimate what some of my future needs would be, I thought, I don’t need a special award or even a party for each additional year I manage to survive.

What I would dearly love is an “Anna”, the personal ladies maid to Mary, on Downton Abbey. She could brush my wayward hair in the morning, do the laundry, help me choose an appropriate outfit for the day’s activities, bring me tea when I am tired and act as my adviser and confidante. Carson, the butler would be an elegant added touch although there is no dinning staff to oversee and there are only three doors to open in the entire apartment. You can’t really expect butlers to open closet doors, can you? “After all,” my imaginary conversation with myself, continued, “Since my mother was born in England, this is really not putting on airs, but simply part of my heritage.”

But of course, in my heart of hearts, I know that for me, like many who are aging, there will be no Anna and perhaps not even a nearby relative to be of occasional help. Yet, every day in my work, I see first-hand how courageously many seniors are dealing with the multiple challenges that are part of the aging process. So here’s to all you seniors — I personally bestow a special Senior Lifetime Achievement Award. “Bravo” and “Well Done.”

Contact Jean Cherni, certified senior adviser for Senior Living Solutions and Pearce Plus, a helpful, full-service program for seniors contemplating a move, at jeancherni@sbcglobal.net or 49 Rose St., Apt. 510, Branford, 06405.

0 Responses: